University of Alabama: 2018 National College Football Champions - Is it the Best Team Defense Ever?
For the 8th consecutive season, the BCS College Football champion is from the SEC Conference. The Alabama Crimson Tide, in a regular season rematch, defeated the LSU Tigers 21-0 in New Orleans. This is coach Nick Saban's third BCS Championship: two with Alabama and one with LSU.
The Crimson Tide used a record setting, stifling defense to shut down the top rated and undefeated Tigers to win the title. It was a revenge game for 'Bama, as LSU defeated the Tide 9-6 earlier in the season. This was the first ever shut out in a BCS game, let alone in the BCS title game which leads to the question: was the Alabama defense one of the best ever in college football? Here some of the evidence to support that claim:
- Alabama allowed an average of less than 9 points per game to opponents - all season long
- Alabama allowed only 9 touchdowns against them all season
- there are several players from the Crimson Tide that will be drafted this year and will be playing in the NFL, including several first round picks
- the Tide led the nation in both run defense and pass defense - unheard of at any level
- they just shut out an undefeated LSU team, which played one of the most challenging schedules in recent years
Alabama's BCS title is not without controversy and rightfully so: they already lost at home to LSU, why did they get a second chance to play them for the BCS title? But in any case, pundits can not argue that this wasn't a superior defense and in our opinions, perhaps the best college football has ever seen.
Click here for Alabama Crimson Tide National Champions merchandise